In KS2 at Maryport C of E Primary, we chose to learn Spanish as our Modern Foreign Language as it is one of the most spoken languages in the world, it is now taught in our local secondary school and because Spain is a popular holiday destination for families from our community.
We believe that learning a foreign language offers pupils the opportunity to:
- Develop speaking and listening skills
- Develop an enthusiasm and enjoyment for language
- Gain confidence and competence to communicate in another language through speaking, listening, reading and writing
- Increase awareness of language structure and draw comparisons between the structure from one language to another
- Develop a positive attitude towards people who speak languages different from their own
- Develop an awareness of cultural differences between countries
Children in Years 3 to 6 have weekly Spanish lessons, mainly using the on-line programme Language Angels which is aligned to the National Curriculum expectations for Modern Foreign Languages.
We have a multi-sensory approach to learning Spanish to ensure learning and practicing the language is fun! This engages and facilitates children's learning of another language.
Spanish Overview KS2